To be honest, not much. Just the name and a few features that are nice, but not blowing our minds.
Google My Business is now known as Google Business Profile as Google migrates features to Maps and Search.(1)
Five name changes in 16 years might seem like a sign of indecision. But the periodic tweaking is a reflection of Google’s test-and-learn culture. For 23 years, Google has succeeded by launching products and then tweaking them – an agile way of doing business whose results speak for themselves. Today Google is one of the most valuable companies in the world. But “launch now, tweak later” does not always work well as a branding strategy for Google’s products.(4)
New features. Google also announced some new features with this announcement. The new features include: (1)
- Claim and verify your Google Business Profile directly in Google Search and Google Maps
- Call History is officially launching in US and Canada
- Messaging can be done directly from Google Search
- Message read receipts can be controlled in Google Search and Maps
In recent months, Google has rolled out a number of tools and initiatives to help SMBs navigate the lack of in-person business and come online. The latest makes it easier for them to update Business Profiles directly from Google Maps and Search.
Accessing is now as simple as looking up the name of their business or typing “my business” in Google Search. The latter shortcut is currently available in English and coming soon to more languages over time. In Maps, these tools are accessible by clicking their avatar image in the top-right corner and selecting “Your Business Profile.”
Once open, Google touts a simplified menu with three key sections: Edit profile, Promote, and Customers. A carousel of recent activity appears underneath that. Listings can now be updated through Google Maps after that capability was previously just in Search. This also includes adding photos, replying to reviews, and creating posts.(2)
Why Use Google Business Profiles For Local SEO?(3)
One of the best Local SEO strategies that any eligible local business can use to rank higher on Google and get local clients is to claim and optimize their Google Business Profile.
However, claiming your Google Business Profile is just the first step – you must optimize, frequently check and update your Business Profile with new information.
Keeping your Google Business Profile updated is important to your success. According to Ipsos Research, an up-to-date Google Business Profile:
- Is 2.7x more likely to be considered more reputable.
- Gets 7x more clicks.
- Is 70% more likely to attract location visits.
- Is 50% more likely to lead to a purchase.
- Home Care Website Design SEO Audit | Local SEO Audit for a Home Care Website - December 8, 2021
- New Home Care Marketing Agency Website- Our Own! Approved Senior Network Marketing - December 7, 2021
- 2022 Best Home Care Marketing Strategies for the New Year! - December 2, 2021